Social networks are now so well established and trusted, that there are now a core top 7′ social networks which doesn’t change much from year-to-year. But, as we will see in this post, the most popular social media sites vary a lot by level of usage in different countries and demographics. So understanding these differences in popularity of different social networks is really important when targeting specific audiences.
I come across all sorts of interesting stats collected by Brandwatch about social media sites and users, so I ‘ve collated the best of them in this facts list.
Social Media Statistics
- The internet has 3.17 billion users
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day